Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bridge 2.0

















I wasn't happy with the bridge design on the Electric Upright Bass. The original idea was to have the piezo pickups sit under the bridge and be completely enclosed. My modifications, although providing acceptable volume, looked rather kludgy. I started another bridge of the more "traditional type." Wonder of wonders -- it works like a charm. I guess there's a reason why bass bridges have changed very little for centuries -- go figure? I now get sufficient volume with the pickups under the bridge as initially designed. This of course required the removal of a significant amount of material. I had forgotten just how hard this Bubinga was. After a pathetic attack with drill, file, and spokeshave: I had to break out the big guns. I used my router to cut the circular areas and also used it to remove most of the excess material. I then did the final shaping with a rasp and sanded it smooth. It still ended up taking most of the afternoon.

No comments: