
How to radius this thing? I had to make a custom radius sanding block. I used 2 sheets of 1/16” plastic to make the radius and some rubber cement to stick on the sandpaper. I used a spokeshave to rough out the radius and then sanded with 40 grit paper while I played six albums on my MP3 player. If I had to guess, I probably spent four full hours sanding this puppy. The result is a fingerboard that is 33” long, 1.5” at the nut, 3.5” at the bridge end, and a radius of 4” with an even 3/16” unradiused profile. That means it is higher at the bridge end than at the nut end which will give it a slight slope toward the bridge. All said, this took an entire day. Maybe next time I’ll use bloodwood—it’s even denser than I am. All in all I’m pretty please with the results.

No comments:
Post a Comment